Listening to Dave Ramsey’s radio show, you notice his advice to a single person is slightly different than to married couples. As a single person, you can make a decision on your own and don’t have to get the opinion of others. I agree with this; especially since I do not need as much information to make a decision is Andrea does.
Since I like being married to Andrea, I have had to grow as a person to allow us to work together as a team. Though, I still have a lot to learn (ask Andrea) I have made a short list of things I have learned so far.
- I have to think of us as a team to better make decisions.
- I have to understand that Andrea’s thinks differently than I do (She has taken the DISC which helps me understand)
- To work together as a team I need to communicate well. Even though we are a team we still have our individual thoughts and opinions.
- If I want to do something major (like start a business or make a large purchase) I have to give her time to warm up to the idea. I need to remember that I have spent a lot of time considering it before she even knew about it.
- I need to get her to help me make decisions so that she has ownership in them.
- We cannot do anything without trust
Anyone can get married but it takes growth and learning to stay married. How have you grown through being married?